Friday, December 8, 2006

Supplements

Supplement - a part that makes up for what is lacking

Read that definition over again. It doesn't mean something you "must" have. It means something you "can" have if you are lacking it. Do you know what that means? It means you can save your money! You don't need any supplements! You can get the results you want without 1 single supplement of any kind. BUT, if there is something you're missing, you may use a supplement. With that being said, here's what I use...

"Designer Whey Protein Powder" - something that makes up for something you're lacking. So this would mean I'm lacking protein? Yeah, I am. I, like many people, don't have time to prepare chicken breasts and egg whites and steaks all day to get my protein from. Sure I will get most of my protein from real foods such as those, but I use protein supplements to make up for the protein I'm lacking. I use this brand (Designer Protein) because it is one of, if not the best quality protein powder there is.

It is actually "America's #1 selling protein powder" and according to all of the taste tests that it has won, it is also the best tasting. I have tried a few different brands, and I do agree that this one does taste the best. It comes in a bunch of different flavors, Strawberry, Chocolate, Vanilla and others, I use the Strawberry. It can also be mixed easily (with just a spoon, no blender needed) with basically any type of liquid, from water, to milk, to any kind of fruit juice. 1 scoop of Designer Protein Powder has 18 grams of protein, only 2 grams of carbs, and only 1 gram of fat.


"Pure Protein Bars" - Protein bars are exactly like protein powder in that they are used for the same reason. The main difference between these supplements is that a bar doesn't need to be mixed with a liquid, and it is small enough to carry around in your pocket and take anywhere if you wanted to. A Pure Protein Bar can be used as a high protein, low carb and low fat meal replacement, a snack, or a way to get protein when you aren't home and can't mix the protein powder. I eat a bar every day for one of my smaller meals. I also put a bar in my pocket when I leave my house and know that I won't be back for a while. This way, no matter where I am, I will be prepared.

Why do I use this brand of bars? Simple, they are by FAR the best tasting of all the protein bars I've tried. I can honestly say that they taste as good as any candy bar, except they are high in protein and lower in carbs and fat. They come in flavors like Chewy chocolate chip, Blueberry cheesecake, Smores (which is my favorite), Peanut butter, and many others.

L-Glutamine - L-Glutamine can be one of the most EXTREMELY useful supplements there is. I wrote a pretty good description of it which includes what it is, what it's used for and why it can be so useful.

After hearing some great stuff about L-Glutamine, I decided to start using it about 6 months ago. First off, it is not any real big serious supplement. No side effects or anything. It doesn't make you bigger or stronger or give you energy or burn fat or do anything like that, yet, it could be one of the most useful supplements. Let me explain...

L-Glutamine is an amino acid, just like protein. It is the most abundant free amino acid in muscle tissue, and it plays a principal role in protein metabolism, cell volumizing, and anti-catabolism. Yes, lots of big fancy words, however, "anti-catabolism" is the reason that I started to use it and continue to do so. Catabolism is the breaking down of your muscles, which is something that you don't want to happen. Doing cardio or aerobic activity could have a catabolic effect on your muscles. Your body needs something to burn for energy when you jog, run, walk, ride a bike, jump rope, take an aerobics class or do any other form of cardio, and sometimes your body uses your own muscle for energy. This is where L-Glutamine comes in. Since it is an "Anti-catabolic" it will allow you to maintain as much muscle as possible and prevents muscle cell breakdown.

Most people find that L-Glutamine comes in handy the most when they are in their cutting up phase (which is when I originally started to take it) or any time when you are trying to lose fat. During this phase, you are trying to lose fat, but at the same time you are trying to maintain as much muscle as possible which is why L-Glutamine can be extremely useful for anyone trying to lose fat and keep as much muscle as they can.

Another thing that you should know about L-Glutamine is that you are probably already taking it. How? Well, if you are taking any kind of whey protein supplement, then chances are you are already taking L-Glutamine since just about all whey protein supplements include a few grams of it in each serving. Designer Protein Powder has about 2 grams per serving in it already. However, this supplement will be most effective when taking about 10-15 grams total each day, with the most effective times first thing in the morning, before you go to bed, and directly after your workout. Try to divide the 10-15 grams of L-Glutamine during those times (or maybe just 2 of those times).

Also, it comes in the powder and capsule form. However I use and recommend the powder form because it will save you lots of money. Don't worry about the taste either, L-Glutamine is completely tasteless and odorless and can be mixed with anything including water.


source: http://www.intense-workout.com

No comments: